Advertising by Adpathway

Mysterious deaths of 'well-connected' asylum-seeking Saudi sisters in Sydney

1 month ago 24


Orgo-Life the new way to the future

  Advertising by Adpathway


When they arrived in Sydney, Asra and Amaal made contact with a refugee agency. Pictured: Their Canterbury apartment block, where they were found dead in June

Two Saudi Arabian sisters made a report to building security about a suspicious man lurking outside their unit - just months before they were found dead in their bedrooms.

Asra Abdullah Alsehli, 24, and Amaal Abdullah Alsehli, 23, were found dead inside their apartment in Canterbury, in Sydney's city's south-west on June 7, five years after they fled their homeland with $5,000 in savings.

Police believe the women, who were found in separate beds and bedrooms, may have been dead for a month before officers discovered their decomposing bodies while conducting a welfare check.

There was no sign of forced entry, no clear signs of injury, and the cause of death remains undetermined although is being treated as suspicious.

Asra Abdullah Alsehli

Pictured: Asra Abdullah Alsehli, 24. She and her sister were found dead in Sydney's south-west. She filed an AVO against a 28-year-old man in 2018, which was later withdrawn

Amaal Abdullah Alsehli

Pictured: Amaal Abdullah Alsehli, 23. Her body was found on June 7 in a Canterbury apartment

One of the employees from their building management company told Daily Mail Australia the women approached them with safety concerns earlier this year.

Investigators have remained tight-lipped about the latest development in the mysterious case.

'They made a report that they saw a man 'acting weird' outside the building - standing between two cars and acting strange,' the employee said.

The worker said the women followed up the complaint and checked their security footage, but it was difficult to determine whether the man had malicious intentions.

'We checked the CCTV and saw there was a man there,' the employee said.

'But that spot is busy. There is a burger shop there and Uber Eats drivers coming and going all the time. He could have been anyone.

'We couldn't determine why he was there, but he didn't look like he was doing anything untoward, so there was no need to chase it up further.'

The worker said the women did not mention if they knew who the man was.

Late in 2021, the women also told building management they feared someone was tampering with their food deliveries.

However, surveillance cameras again found no evidence to back up their fears.

The building's surveillance was seized by police shortly after the women were discovered and has yet to be returned.

Detectives conducted two welfare checks after reports from the building management company. One was in March, after the women left food in the building's common areas.

Police discovered the sisters' bodies in June after they failed to pay rent for several weeks and the Sheriff turned up to serve the pair with an eviction notice. The women, who lived on the corner flat above a burger shop, complained about a man 'acting weird' outside their building in the months before their deaths

Mysterious case takes a turn

The latest development in the mysterious case comes as police backflipped on initial claims the sisters' family had been cooperating with investigators.

For weeks, NSW Police assured media the sisters 'well-connected' family in the Saudi kingdom were 'cooperating' and 'helping' with the investigation.

But police sources on Sunday alleged that the family blocked detectives from releasing photographs of the women as part of a public appeal to shed light on the baffling case.

Police confirmed to Daily Mail Australia their photos and identities were released in consultation with the coroner - not the sisters' family - almost two months after their bodies were found.

Other bizarre inconsistencies have also arisen during the investigation.

Police were unable to explain a delay on the release of toxicology reports which usually takes four to six weeks, despite previously insisting the findings were being 'fast-tracked'.

Until now, investigators always insisted the family were cooperating with investigators and had 'no reason' to believe the Alsehli sisters fled their homeland.

Police would not release details about the women's visa status at press conference on July 27 but revealed officers were in touch with the family - who had instructed the consulate to act on their behalf.

Investigators believe the women died in May, around the time they stopped paying rent.

The coroner has not released the bodies of the sisters to their family, although it is understood they could be buried in Sydney.

Police are to yet rule out homicide or suicide as investigations continue.

It's also been revealed the sisters were both seeking protection from the Australian government as more details about their attempts to build a normal life here emerged.

They had an active claim for asylum in progress with the Department of Home Affairs, it has been confirmed. Police confirmed the women's identities were released last week in consultation with the coroner. Pictured are officers at the Canterbury complex investigating the women's deaths

The reasons they sought protection from the Australian government, detailed in their claim, are not known.

But claims for asylum often relate to persecution or human rights violations on the basis of religion, sexuality, ethnicity, violence or political opinions, according to Amnesty International.

Both were in touch with settlement providers and were on bridging visas.

Reports published in Middle Eastern newspapers on Friday said the sisters had renounced Islam.

The sisters only left the Canterbury unit to study at TAFE, to go shopping or to work, their former landlord from a property they rented at Fairfield revealed to The Guardian.

The 'shocked' landlord claimed their mother visited the sisters in Sydney but didn't like Australia and left after only a brief visit.

News outlets based in Yemen shed more light on the mysterious situation - reporting that the women fled their homeland with a wad of cash in 2017 due to a tumultuous relationship with their parents.

They were also reported to have renounced Islam and became atheists.

Detective Inspector Claudia Allcroft insisted there was 'nothing to suggest' their family was involved in their deaths.

The women were not known to be part of any dissident Saudi networks.

The landlord said the sisters, who it reported fled Saudi Arabia in 2017 with $5,000 during a family holiday, both attended TAFE in Wetherill Park.

They also both worked doing traffic control for a Sydney building company.

'I was shocked when I saw their photos, I have no idea how this could have happened. They were very cute and friendly girls, we never had any problems with them,' their landlord told The Guardian.

Asra applied for an apprehended violence order against a 28-year-old man in 2019 but later withdrew the application.

According to Ana Yemenyi and Tomorrow's Yemen, the sisters were on a summer holiday with their family when they jumped on a plane to Sydney, via Hong Kong.

The sisters then connected with an Australian refugee organisation. It is understood they were on bridging visas in Australia.

Local news outlets said their brother was expected to make a public appeal to encourage any potential killer to come forward, but the family have so far remained silent.

The mysterious deaths have made waves on social media, with many Middle Eastern locals asking why the sisters felt the need to escape the Saudi Kingdom.

One man said the women exposed themselves to danger when they left their homeland: 'Do not leave Saudi Arabia in search of freedom. You will not find it.'

The Consulate of Saudi Arabia in Sydney has offered its condolences to the family, who are believed to be 'well connected'.

While the details of the Alsehli sisters' lives in Saudi Arabia have not yet been pieced together, what is known about their time in Australia begs more questions than answers.

Eight weeks on from the grisly discovery, the case is still plagued with mysteries and inconsistencies.

Both women registered ABNs in 2018 for sole trading to a Wetherill Park address, in Sydney's west, but police still can't confirm what they did for work.

They also drove a black BMW coupe which normally costs upwards of $38,000, and lived in a modern, two-bedroom $490-per-week apartment. A black BMW coupe covered in dust was removed from the garage of the apartment block the day after the women's bodies were found

The sisters' car was also keyed in late 2021, but is unknown whether it was a coincidence or whoever damaged their property had malicious intent.

The women regularly went to the local service station for coffee and energy drinks with workers describing them as 'cheerful' - but they noted the pair would only respond to questions, never starting a conversation.

There were also three welfare checks carried out by police in the months before the girls were finally discovered in separate beds of their first-floor unit as mail piled up outside their door.

At last week's press conference, Detective Allcroft confirmed police know very little about the women and renewed an appeal for public information - anyone who saw the sisters in their final days has been urged to come forward.

'We hope that someone may be able to assist our investigators,' Detective Allcroft said.

'Either through sightings, or those who knew the sisters and may have some information on their movements prior to their death.'

Read Entire Article




Protect your whole family with Quantum Orgo-Life® devices

  Advertising by Adpathway